Before you can consider that extra room in the basement as a legal bedroom, several requirements of the 2015 International Residential Code and NFPA 101 need to be met. Start by considering the following questions:
- Is my ceiling at least 7 feet tall?
- Does the room have adequate insulation in the walls?
- Is there sufficient heating in that room?
- Do my windows provide enough natural light and ventilation?
- Are my windows large enough to function as a secondary means of escape in case of a fire?
Team Engineering can help you fully understand, and meet, the code requirements for any renovation project.